Coconut Flour & Oat Fiber Pyslli Wraps – Atkins OWL Friendly
What are Psylli Wraps? And why are there so many versions? Psylli Wraps are a healthy low carb keto flatbread, wrap or tortilla, depending upon how you use them! The original Fluffy Chix Cook Psylli Wraps make convenient CDS (content delivery systems), grain, sugar and gluten free. There currently are 3 versions of low carb Psylli Wraps. Let’s see the difference between the three versions.
- The original Basic Atkins Induction Psylli Wrap (Atkins Induction friendly and sorta-kinda Dr. Westman’s No Sugar No Starch Diet Page 4 friendly) version is the easiest and most “bare bones” of the 3 version.
- The second version is the Coconut Flour & Oat Fiber Psylli Wrap, also from Susie T. Gibbs, introduces a blend of fibers to make the Psylli Wraps more bread-like. This update made the tortillas part of Atkins OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss), no longer suitable for Atkins Induction.
- The third version, from Shannon Harding, creator of the Facebook Group, The Low Carb Dish, tweaks the Coconut Flour & Oat Fiber formulation and changes the egg component to Southwestern Flavor Egg Beaters, also adding water to the batter and omitting the granulated garlic and onion powder. Shannon made buns as well as tortillas (or wraps) in her, version 3. (recipe coming soon)
Here are the links to the different versions of low carb keto Psylli Wraps
- Basic Psylli Wrap – Induction Version
- Coconut Flour & Oat Fiber Psylli Wrap II – OWL Version
- Coconut Flour & Oat Fiber Psylli Buns & Wraps III – Shannon Harding Version
Coconut Flour & Oat Fiber Psylli Wraps (version 2) are Atkins OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) friendly. It’s an UPDATED version of the Basic Induction Psylli Wraps that Susie T. played around with a while ago. We wanted to see if we could complicate a great recipe and give it a little more bread-y mouth feel. It’s still a quick, easy (and super low calorie and low carb tortilla option). The original recipe, inspired by Susie T’s friend, DocP, only had 3 ingredients: psyllium husks (whole or ground), egg whites from a carton and salt. A super simple recipe with very pleasant results. But you know Susie T; she just can’t help herself (T-for-Tweak).
The difference between the first two Psylli Wrap recipes is that the former is Induction friendly (and sorta-kinda Dr. Westman’s No Sugar No Starch Page 4 friendly). It only contains whole psyllium husks, egg whites, baking powder, and spices. The latest version of low carb Psylli Wraps (recipe follows) is a bit more complicated. The latest version is Atkins OWL friendly. In this low carb wrap recipe, we use a couple of ingredients that are reserved for later rungs of Atkins Phase 2/3—formerly OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) Ladder: coconut flour isn’t introduced until OWL or Phase 2—Level 2); oat fiber isn’t introduced until much later in the plan. Oat fiber is a Phase 3, formerly OWL Level 9, food. If you want to keep the recipe Level 2 OWL friendly, simply substitute almond flour for the oat fiber in the recipe.
What Is Oat Fiber?
Make Version 2 Gluten & Grain Free
You’ll find the Coconut Flour & Oat Fiber Psylli Wraps are a little thicker and taste more like a tortilla than the original version. They’re just as easy to make and store for your weekly low carb keto lifestyle. Make these convenient low carb OWL Psylli Wraps ahead and chill until ready to use. If you can make pancakes or crepes, these have your name all over them! This recipe works great for any meal! It doubles and triples well. Make only enough for the week. It’s a great way to get your psyllium in without drinking Metamucil–for those who are challenged by occasional irregularity!
The original Induction Psylli Wraps get vamped out and re-made into a heartier recipe. Tweaked a great deal to make them more bread-like, these low carb wraps or tortillas are a keto winner. We so appreciate DocP's original recipe & contribution to low carb keto fulfillment!
- 1 tablespoon whole psyllium husks (NOW brand)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon oat fiber—or gluten free oat bran (Bob's Red Mill), or 2 1/2 Tbsp almond flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup egg whites—or carton egg whites (All Whites or Egg Beaters)
- 1 teaspoon unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Combine dry ingredients, stirring to mix well. Pour egg whites into dry ingredients. Stir with a spoon or small spatula until you have an even, lump free batter. Add unfiltered apple cider vinegar at the end. It helps it rise and adds flavor. Batter should be very pourable, like a thin crepe batter.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Spray pan with olive oil spray. Measure 3 Tbsp of batter at a time, into a small cup. Pour batter into the pan all at once. Swirl quickly to distribute batter like a round crepe. Cook until set on one side. Edges will begin to curl slightly. Flip and cook on the second side. Each tortilla takes about a minute to 90 seconds to fully cook. Cook, flipping back and forth until you see brown spots on each side and until the tortilla dries out like a tortilla. Cool on a clean dish towel.
- If the remaining tortilla batter has thickened too much by the time you make the 6th or 8th tortillas, thin it with more egg whites. (I used up to 1/4 more egg whites, because as the batter sits, it thickens.)
- Store cooled tortillas in an airtight container in the fridge up to a week, or freezer up to 1 month.
People ask if Psylli Wraps freeze well and sadly, we can’t answer that question, because they never last that long in our house. We think you will find these low carb wraps simple to make and tasty beyond belief!
Serving Ideas Serve with your favorite filling. Notes: We really love these tortillas. Who wouldn't love them at 16 Cals per tortilla and only 0.7g Net Carbs per tortilla? We got 8-9 out of our recipe, but think we could have stretched it to 10.
Per Tortilla (8 Tortillas/Recipe): 21 Calories; trace Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 2.1g Carbohydrate; 1.4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0.7g Effective Carbs
Per Tortilla (10 Tortillas/Recipe): 16 Calories; trace Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 1.7g Carbohydrate; 1.1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0.6g Effective Carbs
Copyright © 2012 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2012 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.
We are not dieticians, nutritionists or medical professionals. The materials on this blog are for informational (and fun) purposes only. We do not fact check, nor do we worry about sources. Please do your own fact checking. We encourage you to look things up and check with your doctor or health care professional before acting on anything seen on Fluffy Chix Cook. xoxo