Low Carb Irish Cream Ice Cream Makes St. Patrick’s Heart Sing with Joy!
If you’re wishing on a Leprechaun for Low Carb Irish Cream Ice Cream then the Luck o’ the Irish is doing its job because Fluffy Chix Cook came up with a healthy low carb version of Irish Cream Ice Cream to replace the former high carb version that’s packed with sugar. This low carb ice cream is packed with flavor, but is light on carbs, and sugar free, so it’s suitable for a low carb keto and diabetic lifestyle. It won’t spike your blood sugar, insulin, or Paddy’s wild Irish temper!
Ok, we have a confession to make…
The unthinkable of thinkables. That which shall not be named. Well the most horrible, terrible, very bad thing happened on the way to make the Low Carb Irish Cream Ice Cream base yesterday. We were out of cream! Holy St. Margaret of Perpetual Sorrows! I was working and couldn’t go to the store, especially since I refuse to wear flannel PJs to go hebing (pronounced heeb-ing=(n.) the fine art of grocery shopping at HEB), and Denny was injured and unable to shop. Man down.
So we did not use heavy cream to make the LC Irish Cream Ice Cream. Because as I said *sob,* the Fluffys had no heavy cream! How could we let such heresy occur? *hic* We won’t sugar coat this; it was a devastating blow. And we had no choice, because the base “had” to be made to fit the schedule in order to make St. Patrick’s Day, or our little Irish Leprechaun swore he would not deliver our pot o’ gold on Tuesday.
What to do? What to do?
Well, luckily we keep a couple of shelf stable unsweetened SO Delicious Coconut Milks in the pantry and we thought, “What the hey?” Why not try it? And it worked! Well, sorta. Low Carb Irish Cream Ice Cream had a delicious flavor, but the texture had a little to be desired. It had a few crystals and no doubt that was caused by the use of the processed coconut milk. Had we used the heavy cream, we know it would have had a silky and creamy texture. Now, if you’ve not had ice cream in a coons age (like us), then you will still dive into this like a hound dog on a possum, or like a Leprechaun on a shillelagh! Because, it is still THAT good! It’s just not AS good as it can be…it has potential.
Now let’s discuss the Irish Cream flavor. Boo-yah! The Low Carb Irish Cream from March FEAST is a winner winner Irish sinner dinner. Ok, it tastes like you’re sinning but you SOOOOOO aren’t! It works perfectly in the ice cream (and in a glass) with a black coffee back, and we encourage you to run out and buy FEAST if you haven’t already if for that one recipe only—forget about the Guinness Glazed Brownies, Shamrock Knots, and all the other scrumptious low carb Irish comfort food recipes that work all year round, that are also in the e-book! hehe (if you can…)
We made a Low Carb Guinness Chocolate Sauce to go with this and our Keto Chocolate Cake. Use the sauce sparingly as an accent, because it is a bold, rich, deep, dark chocolate flavor, with shades of Guinness Stout and coffee, and can mask the delicate flavor of the Irish Cream in the ice cream. This is a winning low carb ice cream recipe. Most would be unable to tell that it’s low carb. Oh, and Mr. Fluffy gave this a solid Low Carb Irish Cream Ice Cream a solid 9, and you know he’s only ever given one 10 in his life…remember that one time in band camp?
Now, if you want to go supah dupah on this ice cream a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker will further reduce the formation of ice crystals. We used an old hand-crank Donvier Ice Cream Maker (and that could have contributed to the texture issue), but this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker is a true work horse and it’s on sale (remember affiliate links help keep the Fluffy oven lights burning at no cost to you)! I wished we hadn’t left it at my sissie’s house. They’re probably recklessly running through the house, nekkidy, with it held over their heads as we write. Silly knuckleheads!
Gorgeous Low Carb Irish Cream ice cream - the real deal for only 4g Effective Carbs including crunchy caramel bits?
- 2 cups heavy cream—So Delicious Unsweetened Original Flavor Coconut Milk or Blue Diamond Unflavored Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar free white chocolate syrup (Da Vinci or Torani)
- 1 tablespoon sugar free kahlua syrup (Da Vinci or Torani)
- 1 tablespoon sugar free chocolate syrup (Da Vinci or Torani)
- 2 cups Low Carb Irish Cream Copycat Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon glucomannan powder—or xanthan gum
- 10 pieces Werther's Sugar Free Caramel Hard Candies—or Coffee flavored, cracked into small pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons Low Carb Guinness Chocolate Sauce
- Heat cream in small saucepan over medium heat until whiffs of steam come off of it and small bubbles form around edges. Stir frequently to keep it from scorching. Congrats! You've just scalded cream.
- Beat eggs with a whisk until light and foamy. Slowly drizzle in hot cream while whisking eggs constantly. When you've added about 1/2 the scalded cream return eggs and cream to the sauce pan and heat over medium heat until custard thickens to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let temperature rise higher than 160 or you will get scrambled eggs. Strain custard through a cheap wire mesh strainer into a medium sized mixing bowl. Let it cool about 30 minutes. Add sweeteners and Low Carb Irish Cream. Whisk in glucomannan or xanthan. Place plastic wrap on surface of custard to seal it and prevent a skin from forming on the surface. Refrigerate overnight or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Note: Instead of the 3 flavors of Da Vinci or Torani sugar free syrups, feel free to use 2-3 fluid ounces of sugar free Irish cream syrup instead.
- Transfer custard base to ice cream mixer. Churn to your preferred level of thickness. Freeze for an hour or two to cure the ice cream Serve and enjoy.
- Toppings (Optional)
- Crack 10 Sugar Free Caramel Candies into small pieces using a meat pounder or the bottom of a heavy sauce pan. Don't murderize it. You want to have texture. Once frozen, fold in candies or sprinkle over the top of each serving prior to serving.
- Melt 1-2 tbsp of Low Carb Guinness Chocolate Sauce in the microwave for 5 minutes at a time.
- NOTES Oh we love this ice cream and our old Donvier Ice Cream Maker--the 31 year relic that still churns ice cream like a champ! If you don't want to use all the different sugar free syrups (we have quite the collection), sub in your favorite liquid sweeteners to taste. We make the custard slightly sweeter because when it freezes, some of the sweetness falls back. We love the crunchies of the caramel with it! We add them at the last minute so they don't dissolve in the ice cream! Like Marble Slab, only better!
Oh we love this ice cream and our old Donvier Ice Cream Maker--the 31 year relic that still churns ice cream like a champ! If you don't want to use all the different sugar free syrups (we have quite the collection), sub in your favorite liquid sweeteners to taste. We make the custard slightly sweeter because when it freezes, some of the sweetness falls back. We love the crunchies of the caramel with it! We add them at the last minute so they don't dissolve in the ice cream! Like Marble Slab, only better!
Serving Ideas Serve on its own or as a scoop over Keto Chocolate Cake or Guinness Chocolate Brownies!
Nutritional Information (does not include chocolate sauce) Per 1/2 cup serving without caramels 355 Calories; 33g Fat (90.7% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Effective Carbs
Per 1/2 cup serving with caramels 359 Calories; 34g Fat (89.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Effective Carbs
Copyright © 2013 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2014 Fluffy Chix Cook. All rights reserved.
We are not dieticians, nutritionists or medical professionals. The materials on this blog are for informational (and fun) purposes only. We do not fact check, nor do we worry about sources. Please do your own fact checking. We encourage you to look things up and check with your doctor or health care professional before acting on anything seen on Fluffy Chix Cook. xoxo